1. Our first holiday concert is the Share the Spirit Concert this Thursday evening at 7:00 at St. Mary's Cathedral. This concert was initiated several years ago by our Orchestra Director Steve Anderson, who passed away last spring. The choirs and orchestras of Cathedral and St. John's Prep come together for this event. There is a free will offering that goes directly to Catholic Charities Share the Spirit program which assists families during the holidays.
2. Safari Dance! All students grades 9-12 are invited to the Safari Danceon Saturday from 8 pm - 11 pm in the Commons. Cost is $5 or $3 with a donation of gently used tennis shoes. Proceeds benefit various projects in Tanzania.
3. Students going to Africa next summer are hosting a shoe drive fundraiser. Drop off gently used tennis shoes (please tie the laces together) at one of the drop boxes at CHS. The shoe drive runs until December 14.
4. National Honor Society is hosting a blood drive on Wednesday November 20 from 8-2. We have some appointments available for family members of our students. Please contact Darcy Frank-Henrichs at email@example.com or 251-3421 ext. 305 for an appointment.
5. Grandparents' Day is Nov. 26. Our new Bishop will be celebrating with us on that day. Here's what the day looks like: breakfast serving starting at 7:45 am and Mass at 9:30 am. In between those two, students and grandparents will have a photo taken, and they may tour the school. We will serve breakfast 7:45 to 8:45; grandparents may arrive at any time during that hour. We have sent out invitations - if you sent us an address, or we had one from last year. If you have (grand)parents who didn't receive an invitation, please notify the Main Office, and we will send out an invitation immediately.
We will clear the parking lot right across from the South Building for our guests on that day, and we ask that you remind family members that there is a handicapped accessible door at the east end of the South Building, leading to an elevator. We will also provide rides to the North Gym for any grandma or grandpa with mobility issues.
This day is truly one of the highlights of our school year. Watching our "big" kids interacting with Grandma and Grandpa is just wonderful. Every year, I am reminded that this relationship is so important - perhaps even more important for teenagers than little ones.
6. Our Campus Ministers are leading a food drive for the Emergency Food Shelf. The theme is "Will You Survive" and they have planned motivational activities and doubled their goal from previous years. The food drive runs Nov. 11 - 22. Please support this worthy drive.
7. The Nordic Ski Team is selling poinsettias for their team fundraiser. The poinsettias are beautiful, festive plants from St. Cloud Floral. Consider purchasing one or more for a gift for someone or for yourself.
The 6" plants are red, white, pink and burgundy and the cost is $15. We are offering a 6" blue poinsettia with gold sparkles in honor of our teammate, Ellie Sovada and cost is $20. Checks should be made to Cathedral Athletic Association. Poinsettia sale is from November 4th-22nd. Plants will be available for pick up Wednesday, December 4th from 10:00 am-5:50 pm at the North Gym.
For orders, contact any Nordic skier or Lauri Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 267-3311.
Posted on Mon, November 18, 2013
by CHS Editor