1. Introducing our new teachers:
Conner Guetter will be teaching math, specifically Algebra II, Statistics, and PreCalculus. Conner grew up in Fairmont, MN and graduated from Minnesota State University, Mankato. He will also be one of our football coaches this fall.
Mary Spethmann will be teaching Lit 9 and one section of American Lit (11). Mary is a Cathedral grad and she has a degree in Journalism from the University of Minnesota, and her teaching credentials from the College of St. Scholastica. Mary has been involved in the Les Voyageurs program and she coaches girls' soccer, girls' hockey and girls' golf for us.
John Watry will be teaching Intermediate Algebra and Finite Math. John is a recent graduate of St. Cloud State. Before completing his math degree, John served as an active duty member of the United States Air Force for 25 years.
Dick McMorrow returns to Cathedral after having served as principal at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton. Dick will teach AP Psychology, Global Issues, and focus on middle school planning. Dick's return is a real blessing for Cathedral and for students.
2. Many of you have already met Dr. Todd Van Erp, our new Assistant Principal. Todd has undergrad degrees from the University of Minnesota and SCSU and he earned his doctorate from SCSU. He has taught science and he has been a principal and an assistant principal, along with teaching grad courses for St. Mary's University.
3. One more: Jay Terry is our new Drama Director. Jay is a grad of St. John's and he is also the Artistic Director of the Pioneer Place Theatre Company. As a St. Cloud native, Jay has worked in the local theatre scene nearly all his life.
These are all outstanding individuals who will add to our community! I feel like we hit a home run with every one of them. Please introduce yourself as you see them around school.
4. We will hand out laptops to grades 8-12 the first or second day of school. Seventh graders and other new students, along with parents, will receive their Macbooks on Aug. 30, Tuesday evening, at a 5:30 or 6:30 pm meeting. We require that students receiving a Macbook for the first time, and their parents, participate in a session about the proper care and use of the device. New students will receive more information about this meeting. I am just alerting you to put this on your calendar.
5. We were notified by District 742 about a significant change in their school day which impacts our school day because of busing. This year our school day will start at 8:08 am and conclude at 3:00 pm.
6. Still time to consider being a member of our bowling team:
Come check out the CHS bowling team! Bowling is available to all students grades 7-12. Come join us on August 10th from 6-8pm at Southway Bowl for free bowling, pizza and fun! Meet the bowling team and find out how easy it is to join! Parents, come along to get all of the details and your questions answered. If you have any questions ahead of time, contact Roxanne Muehlbauer at 320-290-0927.
7. This fall, Cathedral will be shifting to a "fragrance free" policy in order to provide a healthy environment for students with severe allergies to these products. That means that aerosal hair spray and deodorant that are brought to school must be marked "unscented." No perfumes or body sprays will be permitted at school. Obviously, we also discourage any student from wearing strong scents of any kind. This ban includes locker rooms, hallways, classrooms, gymnasiums, restrooms, and busses.