A Message from the Principal
1. We recently reminded our students that cell phones are not allowed to be used during the school day at Cathedral. If students absolutely need to make a call, we allow them to do that in the Attendance or Main Office. Not only are cell phones a distraction during the learning process, they have all sorts of other negative possibilities in a school (cheating, photographing others, etc.) Our students are so connected to their phones outside of school hours; it really is a good thing that these are turned off during the school day. Please do not call your son/daughter while they are in school. If you need to get a message to them, our Attendance Office is happy to do that.
2. Our library is open after school until 4:00 p.m. We ask that you pick your students up at that time. There is not a supervised area for students after 4:00 p.m.
3.Safari Dance! All students grades 9-12 are invited to the Safari Danceon Saturday from 8 pm - 11 pm in the Commons. Cost is $5 or $3 with a donation of gently used tennis shoes. Proceeds benefit various projects in Tanzania.
4. Students going to Africa next summer are hosting a shoe drive fundraiser. Drop off gently used tennis shoes (please tie the laces together) at one of the drop boxes at CHS. The shoe drive runs until December 14.
5. Planning for "Celebrations of Seasons" is underway. After a very successful event last year many of you expressed interest in helping out at some level. We will be having a informational meeting on December 8th at 6:30 in the Commons at CHS. This is a great way to volunteer your time and skills, to help "Celebrations of Seasons" continue to grow and be successful. If you are unable to attend, but would still like to be a part of this great event please email Shannon Petroske @firstname.lastname@example.org or Amy O'Neal @email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Next Monday (Nov. 25), Jostens will be here at 8 a.m.to talk to 10th graders about class rings.
7. Our first holiday concert is the Share the Spirit Concert this Thursday evening at 7:00 at St. Mary's Cathedral. This concert was initiated several years ago by our Orchestra Director Steve Anderson, who passed away last spring. The choirs and orchestras of Cathedral and St. John's Prep come together for this event. There is a free will offering that goes directly to Catholic Charities Share the Spirit program which assists families during the holidays.
8. Grandparents' Day is Nov. 26. Our new Bishop will be celebrating with us on that day. Here's what the day looks like: breakfast serving starting at 7:45 am and Mass at 9:30 am. In between those two, students and grandparents will have a photo taken, and they may tour the school. We will serve breakfast 7:45 to 8:45; grandparents may arrive at any time during that hour. We have sent out invitations - if you sent us an address, or we had one from last year. If you have (grand)parents who didn't receive an invitation, please notify the Main Office, and we will send out an invitation immediately.
We will clear the parking lot right across from the South Building for our guests on that day, and we ask that you remind family members that there is a handicapped accessible door at the east end of the South Building, leading to an elevator. We will also provide rides to the North Gym for any grandma or grandpa with mobility issues.
This day is truly one of the highlights of our school year. Watching our "big" kids interacting with Grandma and Grandpa is just wonderful. Every year, I am reminded that this relationship is so important - perhaps even more important for teenagers than little ones.
Posted on Wed, November 20, 2013
by CHS Editor