1.Please be careful and travel slowly when picking your child up after school. We have 650 students coming out of the building and moving to vehicles. We remind them, but they don't always look carefully and it would be terrible to have a student get hit by someone in a hurry.
2. On Thursday, we will provide students with the opportunity to watch the Olympic Gold Medal Women's Hockey Game that starts at 11:00 am. The game will be on in the lunchroom during all three lunch times, and then at 12:40 - about the time of the game's third period - all classes will have a large group space for them to watch. You are welcome to join the upperclassmen in Holy Angels. We'll have the game on the big screen.
3. A reminder that parents can always check their child's grades on PowerSchool. If you click on the actual grade for a class, you will go to the entire listing of assignments for that subject and you can see if there is missing work. If you have forgotten or misplaced your password, please contact Cindy Sieling at email@example.com.
4. I will be sending out information about our ACT prep class today to junior parents. Interesting to note: on the news yesterday, there was a report about the ineffectiveness of college entrance exams in predicting success in college. One expert called into question the "timed test" as an accurate picture of a student's ability. I agree, and these tests are frustrating. Perhaps we are seeing the beginning of the end for their use. In the meantime, however, I want to make sure our students have the necessary practice and training to take the ACT test.
5. There is a FAFSA Completion Night on Monday, Feb. 24, 5:30 to 7:00 (come any time) at the College of St. Scholastica, St. Cloud Campus, 137 23rd St. S. in Sartell. If you are perplexed by this necessary document, you might want to attend this event.
6. A reminder that student phones are to be turned off during the school day at Cathedral. Please don't call or text your son/daughter between 8:10 and 3:05. Phones are a distraction from our educational purpose! If you need to contact your child, our Attendance Office will always get a message to them.
7. You will be receiving information this week about Registration for the 2014-2015 School Year. Our guidance counselors have begun the process of visiting with students about course registration. Current students will receive a course catalog from the counselors. We send the course catalog and registration documents to new students. The two registration nights are Feb. 24, 4-8 pm and Feb. 26, 3:15 - 6:00 pm.
8. Spring Sports Registration is open and available online!Please click here to get started. If you have signed up for a fall or winter sport/activity, please use that account. Those who need help remembering their phone number or password can contact Julie firstname.lastname@example.org(please do not create a new account).
7-12 grade Baseball will have a parent and player meeting on Feb. 20 in the Center Gym at 6:00 pm. All other sports should stay tuned regarding meetings.
Blessings, Lynn Grewing
Posted on Wed, February 19, 2014
by CHS Editor