1. There is a meeting for parents of seniors on Monday, Sept. 22 in the library. Our guidance counselors, Mary Quick and Bridget Hamak will cover the same topics that they covered with seniors recently: timeline for the college application process, application components (resume, essays, recommendations, transcripts), overview of types of colleges (2 year, 4 year, open to selective), and making choices regarding colleges.
2. The deadline for registering for the October 25 ACT test is this Friday, Sept. 19.
3. ATTENTION ALL SOPHOMORES & PARENTS:
A group of parents has organized a Homecoming activity for sophomores similar to the one for freshman. They have our full support! The planned event will include an optional Mass, time for photos, dinner, and transportation to the dance. Dance tickets will be included in the cost so it’s not necessary to purchase your dance ticket separately. The event details, cost, and registration form/permission slip will be distributed to sophomores this week. We strongly encourage all sophomores to attend this great event! It is a perfect way for ALL to reconnect and spend time with their fellow classmates and make some great memories.
4. Freshmen parents will be receiving a letter from Fred Rupp regarding the Homecoming plans for their class soon.
5. A reminder that we are a Peanut and Tree Nut Safe School. Please read the labels on anything that you send to school, either in your child's cold lunch or for any event.
6. A message from our chaplin, Father Ben:
Most of you have seen me or met me since I have been here half time for the last two years. I am very excited to be here full time now! I have already felt the difference in being able to be here all day and having conversations with the students.
I plan to include a message in this Eblast twice a month. These past few weeks we have been celebrating all school Masses weekly. I had the first one and Father Tony Oelrich was here last week. It is an opportunity for all of us to "check in" with God. During this year, I have invited all of the local pastors to take turns celebrating the Mass here at Cathedral so that your children may take pride in their pastor. Please know that you are most invited to these liturgies. They are at 9:00 am on Thursday mornings in the North Gym. Unless it is a bigger event, they will only be about 40 minutes.
One thing I would like to stress, however, is that this weekday Mass DOES NOT replace going to Mass on Sundays. Sunday (or Saturday evening) is still the Lord's day and we are expected to be at Mass in our own parishes or at some Catholic church.
Once again, it is a great privilege for me to be with all of you. I look forward to opportunities to meet you especially at sports games and other activities.
Fr. Ben Kociemba
1. All senior pictures must be in by November 1. The yearbook staff says the earlier, the better! Pictures need to be at least 300 DPI, color or black & white. The photo must be appropriate for the Cathedral yearbook (not provocative or too revealing). These may be sent via email, disk, flash drive, or paper copy to firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com. The picture will be placed in a 3 X 3 box. If the picture does not fit, the yearbook staff will crop to the necessary size.
2. Senior baby ads for the yearbook are also due Nov. 1.
Page Size Measurements Cost Options
Eighth page 2.75" by 4" $60 1 picture, 50 words
Quarter page 5.5" by 4" $80 1 picture, 100 words
2 pictures, 50 words
Half page 6" by 8.5" $100 1 picture, 150 words
2 pictures, 100 words
3 pictures, 50 words
3. A current 10th grader needs a loving host family. Yves Ilboudo (Junior) from Africa needs a host family as soon as possible. If you are interested in hosting Yves, please contact Rebecca Brown-Medvec. There is a host family stipend.
4. The Cathedral Crusaderette Dance Team is hosting a pancake breakfast at Applebee's this Sunday September21st.Breakfast is served from8am to10amand consists of: 3 Pancakes, scrambled eggs, 2 slices of bacon or sausage, Coffee, juice and other beverages. Tickets are $10 and will be sold at the home Volleyball game on September 16th, home Girls soccer match on September 16th,and home Boys soccer game on September 21stor by contacting any member of the Dance Team.
5.The CHS Tackle Cancer football game is Sept. 19. Tackle cancer shirts are available for $10, sold at lunch until Friday 9/19. Proceeds go to Randy Shaver Tackle Cancer Foundation. If shirts are left, they will be sold that night at the football game.
6.We will be having our second informational meeting regarding the July 2015 Rome Pilgrimage on Sunday evening,September 21stin the Cathedral Conference Room at7 PM. We will handing out packets that provide much details regarding the itinerary, cost, payment schedule, and other preparations. Feel free if you haven't attended a previous Rome meeting that you are still invited to hear about this great opportunity! There is no need to commit yet. Patrick Flynn, Fr. Scott Pogatchnik and Fr. Ben Kociemba will be facilitating the meeting.
Posted on Thu, September 18, 2014
by CHS Editor