A Condensed Time Line and History of Cathedral High School Stretching back to 1884 and the construction of Holy Guardian Angels Pro Cathedral School, an educational enterprise has operated continuously on the current Cathedral High School campus. At times throughout the past century the school operated grades #1 through #12. Throughout most of the 1960s Cathedral operated only grades #9 through #12, but then again in 1971 it added back grades #7 and #8. Cathedral High School was separately incorporated from the grade school and from Holy Angels (Cathedral) Parish in 1945. The school’s mission, inspired and informed by Catholic tradition, has always been to educate people while inspiring them to virtuous lives.
1875 – The Northern Vicariate, forerunner of the Diocese of St. Cloud, is established with Benedictine Abbot Rupert Seidenbusch, OSB appointed first Bishop. The Cathedral of the Diocese is established with the purchase of the Broker home on 6th Avenue and 4th Street overlooking the Mississippi River to the East. Bishop Rupert prevailed upon his confreres to make St. Mary’s – several blocks to the Southwest – the Cathedral but the monks chose to keep St. Mary’s as a Benedictine Church, thus the necessary creation of Holy Angels and its future school.
1884 – Bishop Rupert Seidenbush, OSB opens a school as part of the Holy Angels Pro Cathedral Parish. This was coincidentally the same year as the Baltimore Declaration wherein it was declared by the U.S. Bishops every parish must have a school.
1887 – A three-story grade school building is constructed on the northeast corner of the 200 Block between 6th and 7th Avenues North; it later houses the high school on its 3rd floor and still later becomes known and used as the Vocational Building in the 1960s. A printing shop on the lower level of this school purportedly launches dozens of careers in what would become an epicenter for printing companies in Central Minnesota.
1890 – A (Bishop Otto Zardetti) Cathedral Rectory/ Chancery/ Mansion is constructed immediately adjacent to the Broker home which ultimately serves a dozen or more functions and occupants until its demolition in the spring of 2009 due to neglect and disrepair.
1902 – Eleanor Irving, OSB, Principal of Holy Angels Cathedral Grade School, is asked by Bishop Trobec and Father Edward Jones to expand the Cathedral School to include ninth (and subsequently 10th through 12th) grades.
1904 – Basilia Cosgrove, OSB becomes the first principal of the High School separate from the grade school, a position she then held for fifteen years.
1907 – The Church of St. Mary (Immaculate Conception) opens a high school under the direction of Alfred Mayer, OSB. For seven years, until 1914, there are two Catholic high schools in the downtown portion of the city, both Benedictine-inspired.
1912 – A large, three-story, Victorian-style Convent for the Benedictine Sisters is constructed immediately to the South of the school facing Sixth Avenue. Prior to this facility the Sisters shared the St. Mary’s Convent across town and walked to work.
1914 – On the eve of what would become World War I, ground is broken for an expansion of The Cathedral High School on the northwest corner of the 300 Block between 6th and 7th Avenues North. Father Leo Gans is Superintendent. Bishop Trobec had recently resigned and the See was vacant; Bishop Joseph Busch is appointed later that same year and soon thereafter abandons the Zardetti Mansion for a residence and chancery five blocks to the southeast of Cathedral on the banks of the Mississippi River.
1922 – Cathedral High School is accredited by the University of Minnesota and is continuously accredited from this date forward.
1925 – Cathedral High School receives accreditation from the North Central Association. The name "Crusaders" is adopted for Cathedral students and teams.
1934 – Blue and gold are adopted as the official Cathedral High School colors.
1937 – After much discussion and an intervention by The Vatican, The Cathedral of the Diocese of St. Cloud moves from Holy Angels to St. Mary’s; The Church of St. Augustine is then assigned to The Benedictines in exchange for St. Mary’s becoming the Cathedral. Holy Angels becomes a regular parish but maintains the name Cathedral for the school, at that time operating grades #1 - #12 for another 23 years.
1938 – In the depths of the Great Depression and on the eve of World War II, the cornerstone is laid for a new building immediately to the South of the 1914 building. Fifteen classrooms, science laboratories, a library, cafeteria, gymnasium, and music rooms are included in the new three-story structure.
1945 – On April 6th, The Cathedral High School is incorporated separately from Holy Angels (Cathedral) Parish. The Board of Directors includes: Bishop of the Diocese, Coadjutor Bishop, Vicar General, pastors of parishes of St. Cloud, Waite Park, Sauk Rapids and the Superintendent of Cathedral High School.
1957 – A new building on the northwest corner of the 200 Block between 6th and 7th Avenues North is constructed immediately to the South of the 1938 building across 3rd Street. This building includes a new cafeteria, kitchen, library, two large group rooms, home economics department, office space, and 18 additional classrooms.
1961 – Holy Guardian Angels Grade School transfers its students to St. Mary’s, St. Paul’s, St. Peter’s, and St. John Cantius; The Cathedral High School becomes just grades #9 – #12 for ten years.
1964 – Cathedral High School reaches its peak enrollment with 1,621 students in grades #9 - #12 only.
1967 – The North Gymnasium is completed at the corner of 4th Street and 6th Avenue North; 4th Street is then closed by the City of St. Cloud. The structure includes a modern gym floor, seating capacity of 3,500, locker rooms, bathrooms, coaches' offices and one small classroom.
1969 – 1971 – A perfect storm of Vatican Two, the Viet Nam War, civil rights, equal rights, the nearby construction and the opening of a brand new public school, and other external forces trim Cathedral’s enrollment almost overnight to less than half.
1971 – Grades #7 - #8 return to campus. John XXIII Middle School is established. The school begins as a cooperative project among The Churches of The Holy Spirit, Sacred Heart, St. Mary Cathedral, St. Augustine, and St. Joseph (Waite Park).
1974 – The Churches of St. Peter and St. Paul combine to operate Sts. Peter & Paul School; later The Church of St. Michael joins that effort; The Churches of St. Anthony, St. Francis Xavier, and St. John Cantius continue operating their own 7th and 8th grade programs; later they ultimately join the Cathedral program.
1978 – With the approval of Bishop George Speltz, The Cathedral High School Education Foundation, Inc. is established by a number of lay and clerical leaders; the first gift is $10. The original fund raising goal is $1 million; about $800,000 is raised.
1981 – Cathedral establishes its first development, alumni, and admissions office. The first-ever Director serves both the Foundation and the School. Rockin’ ‘Round the Clock is established by that office as a signature event and will continue as such for 25 years.
1985 – Cathedral High School and John XXIII Middle School become one school with one faculty and staff, one administration, and one governing board.
1991 – The (Cathedral) Church of The Holy Angels, founder of The Cathedral High School, is closed as a parish. It had ceased being the Cathedral of the Diocese in 1937.
1993 – Holy Angels Church is renovated into Holy Angels Performing and Fine Arts Center with a large proscenium stage, theatre seating for 400, a small lobby, an elevator, two large music classrooms, faculty offices, and private music practice rooms. A physical connection is made to the 1938 building via elevator, hallways, and stairs.
2000 – The Church of St. Joseph, St. Joseph, MN joins The Cathedral High School Corporation.
2001 – The school reaches a modern-day enrollment peak of 810 students.
2005 – The Church of St. Mary Help of Christians joins The Cathedral High School Corporation.
2005 – The Investing in Our Future campaign generates $4.6 million of new capital for improvements to buildings and growth to the Foundation.
2008 – Using money from the 2005 campaign a passenger elevator is added to the 1957 building, major renovations and air conditioning are added to the kitchen and cafeteria, new bleachers are installed in the 1965 gymnasium, and the former Catholic Charities Food Shelf Building (originally Volkmuth Printing) at the corner of 2nd Street and 7th Avenue is purchased.
2009 – The school’s development (advancement) function and office are re-established, staffed, and strengthened.
2010 – and looking toward 2018: Eleven goals are established as the school’s Master Plan 2018 moving toward greater strength and stability – and value for stakeholders. Details regarding progress toward these goals are included in a separate document.
2011 – The Cathedral High School returns to its roots to serve grades #7 - #12 for all parishes in the Central Minnesota Metro and outlying areas. John XXIII and Sts. Peter, Paul & Michael are retired as school names as part of the final merger agreement.
2013 – The Cathedral High School Education Foundation flirts with having net assets of $10,000,000 while also having provided millions of dollars in scholarships dating back to 1981.
2014 – Completion of the four-year phase-in of Laptops for Learners, a state-of-the-art Apple laptop computer assigned to each student and to each teachers 24 hours a day, seven days a week; transformational instructional and learning goals established.
2015 – The Campaign for Cathedral, the manifestation of goals #8 and #9 of the Master Plan, is launched with a goal of $16,500,000.
2016 – The launch of Catholic Community Schools by Bishop Donald Kettler, as an E-12 comprehensive governance and leadership structure, is set for July 1, 2017.
# # #