The Cathedral Middle School program has just over 200 hundred students in grades 7 and 8. Through our small class sizes, our teachers and administrators provide high quality instruction and assessment through a rigorous curriculum, allowing leadership and organization to flow around culture, faith, and community. At Cathedral, we recognize and understand the nature of young adolescents and their unique way of learning. The following characteristics are from the Association of Middle Level Education (AMLE), which we have integrated into our middle school program.
Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment
- Educators value young adolescents and are specifically licensed to teach them
- Students and teachers are engaged in active, purposeful learning
- Our curriculum in challenging, exploratory, integrative and relevant
- Small class sizes allow educators to use multiple learning and teaching approaches
- Varied and ongoing assessments advance learning as well as measure it
Leadership and Organization
- A shared vision developed by the Cathedral community guides every decision
- Leaders are committed to and knowledgeable about this age group, educational research and best practices
- Our middle school leadership team demonstrate courage and collaboration
- Our teachers regularly participate in professional development to continue educational practices
- Cathedral’s small class sizes foster purposeful learning and meaningful relationships
Culture and Community
- Our faith-filled school environment is inviting, safe, inclusive and supportive of all
- Every student’s academic and personal development is guided by an adult advocate utilizing Skills for Adolescence course, Crusader Class, and Cathedral counselors
- Comprehensive guidance and support services meet the needs of young adolescents personally, socially, and academically
- Health and wellness are supported in curricula, school-wide programs, professional speakers, and small group activities.
- Cathedral actively involves families in the education of their children
- Cathedral collaborates with community and business partners to enhance our curriculum and provide service-learning opportunities.